Sunday, May 4, 2008

My Heart Aches Tonight

May 4, 2008 6:43 PM

My mother, "Mome" is on pain medicine. Sleeping. Not sure if it is working or not.

My mom’s sister is here crying. "How do you do it?" "I would help if I could," she says… and then changes the subject to her trip to Hilton Head last week. Mome’s brother is talking about people dying I don’t even know or care about and about some church auction. Their world is still in motion, unlike mine. I would like to say, please leave… but, I won’t.

My granddaughter Rachel is perfect. She loves my mom so much – sincerely. She held her hand for a couple hours late last night, just to be touching her, connecting to her in some way.

My sister, Patsy, has pretty calendar pictures hanging above her bed, with scripture on them… there are notes from Brandon, Rachel’s brother, love notes to get well.

Brandon calls my mom (his Grandmother) our Wilson, like on Home Improvement. She is the voice of wisdom for all of us. He says his heart is breaking.

My grandson, Brandon made his first communion today. I did not go. I did not have time to get him a gift – a rosary is what I wanted to give him – something he will have for the rest of his life. I hope he understands. Perhaps I will get one tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment