Sunday, July 29, 2007

Tape on the Wall



This evening I went to my mom's house to clean. My mom only lives two doors away.

I just got home - four hours later. I cleaned the kitchen. Dishes, laundry, floor, windows and then I started to wipe down the walls. Unfortunately, I literally wiped the walls down. My mom has an old kitchen with walls made of square plastic tiles - pink (now beige) at the top half and across the middle, black horizontal tiles, and the bottom half is blue. As I wiped, the plastic tiles slowly started to fall off the wall.

I have asked everyone I know to help her and replace the walls, yet nothing has been done. If I knew how to do drywall, I would attempt it myself. I even suggested that we all go in together for her 80th birthday (this September) and hire someone to fix her walls, but no one is interested. It makes me feel so sad that she has to live with a kitchen like this.

As I studied the walls, I remembered back over forty years ago looking at those same walls. My mom would proudly tape up my good school papers there. She would tape up each week's spelling words for me to look at all week, until the big test on Friday. Valentine's day I would rush home with all of my Valentine's I got at school in my decorated shoebox to show her. My mom and I would read each one as she taped them on the "blue" tiles for us to enjoy. At Christmas time she would tape up paper cutouts of Santa and his reindeer on the "pink" half. These were such good memories...

The wall was dry. So, I used some tape to put the fallen tiles back up. If tape could hold up so many memories, I figured it could hold the tiles, too.

I have learned so much from my mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment