Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Taking a Drive - for Ice Cream

Tonight Katie and Michael wanted to go for a drive. That was fine by me, because I love to take rides. We have been on so many rides there are only a few roads in Northern Kentucky that we haven’t driven on. We wanted to venture to someplace new.

I started to go east on the AA but then changed my mind since there are always so many wrecks on the AA. I decided to go down US 27 south to check out the new parts of US 27.

When we got about 20 minutes away from home, Michael yelled to bring my attention to a motorcycle carrying two men that had flipped over while turning onto a side road. I drove to the next place where I could exit. I turned around to go back to see if we could help. When we got back to the accident both men were standing. One was rubbing his head and the other guy looked dazed. I asked if we could help in any way, or could we call for help. The one guy in the daze said, “Yeah, you can come over here and kiss me.”

(OK, kids, lesson number one – be cautious when you talk to any strangers, including guys in motorcycle wrecks.) What a weirdo! It was obvious that these guys were drunk. There wasn't anything I could do for them, except let them sit there in the hot sun and dry out….

So, I got back on 27 and continued our drive south.

We went as far as Butler when I decided that I wanted ice cream. The deal was this – we had to continue riding south until I found an ice cream place. (I like to make deals like this…)

First, we went through Falmouth but decided McDonald’s didn’t qualify as an ice cream place. Much farther down the road we went through a small town called Cynthiana. The old "Dairy Barn", I remember from being a kid, was now vacant. On the outskirts of town we saw another McDonald’s and decided this would now be acceptable as an “ice cream place". When we got in the lot we counted 13 cars in the drive-thru line. (Apparently, they couldn’t find any other ice cream place around either.) We did the math figuring at least 3 minutes per car times 13 and we all decided to pull through and continue our trek south to find a real “ice cream place".

Well, we finally ended outside Lexington. We ran into I-75 and all saw the yellow arches again. We drove in. We ordered ice cream and french fries. When we got to the window the kid in the window said they were out of all ice cream – no dairy products. We paid for the fries and left.

Since we were so close to Lexington, we decided we might as well drive through downtown, past Rupp Arena, and then head home. Not something you do everyday. So, that is what we did.

We finally headed for home. Now the kids said that they were thirsty from the fries. And, I still wanted some ice cream. I waited until I got an exit closer to home and pulled off the highway. Wait… this was the same McDonald’s we were at earlier that didn’t have a dairy products. What were the odds?!

We spent four hours on this little drive… We didn’t want to drive on a road with accidents, yet saw the motorcycle crash. And, we did want ice cream, but didn’t get any. Go figure.

1 comment:

  1. I liked this one, you forgot to mention Katies constant ear-buds thoe....

    ReplyDelete