Thursday, August 7, 2008

Starlite Drive-In – And a Nostalgic Look Back


Again, I felt the need to pack some extra fun into the last days of summer. With little else to do on a Wednesday night, we decided to drive out to the Starlite Drive-In. Before we left, Katie filled up the cooler with ice and lots of soft drinks and grabbed several snacks. Michael threw a couple lawn chairs into the back of the van along with some blankets and pillows.

Tonight it took us about a half hour to drive to Starlite which is located in Amelia, OH. We have been making this drive and enjoying the movies at the Starlite Drive-In for at least a dozen years. Occasionally throughout the years we have heard rumors that they may be closing. Fortunately for us, they have only been rumors, as we all love going to this family oriented drive-in.

So, are you old enough to remember going to the drive-in theater? When I was a kid everybody went to the drive-in movies all summer long. I fondly remember as my family would take us to the Pike 27 Drive-In Theater in Cold Spring, KY. There was a playground at the base of the screen and we spent more time playing and eating the snacks that my mom packed than watching the movie.

I remember the scratchy sounding speakers barely hanging on the car window, hiding my head behind the back seat of my mom during scary parts, and families setting up lawn chair and blankets outside their cars as the image flickered on the looming screen.

My parents always made a bed for us in the back, pillows and blankets piled on the floor, so we could sleep during the late second movie. It was wonderful.

Drive-ins saw their peak in the late 1950s when there were more than 4,000 across the country. Back in the '50's, the drive-in sound system comprised of speaker polls with bulky speakers lined up across an open field below the big screen. Now, only the speaker poles remain of the old sound system, which has given way to stereo sound broadcast through the car's radio. Today, only 383 drive-ins are left, according to the United Drive-In Theatre Owners Association.

Tonight at the Starlite we stayed for the double feature, Space Chimps and The Mummy. It really didn’t even matter to us what was playing, we just wanted to do something together. Some activities may seem like relics from another time, but sometimes that's what makes them fun. And, we did have fun.


Katie has always liked the dancing hot dog during intermission!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great time! What a good tradition this is for you and your family to share. I hope it doesn't close. I used to go quite often when I was younger too. I didn't realize there was one in Cold Springs. After reading this, I think my family and I are going to have to schedule a night out at the drivein. Thanks for sharing!
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete