Sunday, August 3, 2008

Cincinnati Art Museum


This weekend, after tripping over bored children and teenagers, I decided to take them to the Cincinnati Art Museum, and the admission price was right, FREE! Located in scenic Eden Park, the Cincinnati Art Museum features an art collection of more than 60,000 works spanning 6,000 years.

I was looking forward to the “Long Time No See” Exhibit. This exhibit is a never-before peek into more than a 150 stored objects, not seen in at least a decade or more, and some are on display for the first time.

As we walked through the museum, Michael was excited to find a sketch of “God Bless of Everyone” signed by Norman Rockwell. The same signed and numbered Norman Rockwell lithograph we have hanging in our home.

Brandon enjoyed seeing the Italian Armor and the sculpture of David and Goliath (although he admired the sword more than the sculpture!)

Rachel liked the strange Crosley Robot and some of the jewelry displayed.

All admired art from Frank Duveneck to Vincent Van Gogh and Claude Monet.

My favorite part of our day at the museum was when Phil pointed to a painting of a young woman and told the kids that it looked much like I did when I was nineteen years old. How flattered I felt as I gazed at the beautiful woman in the painting. Of course, the kids did not believe it… yet, Phil assured them he could produce a photo of me at nineteen to prove his point.

A VENETIAN WOMAN
John Singer Sargent (American, b.1856, d.1925)

As we were ending our day at the museum, Katie was not ready to leave. I think she could have spent another couple hours there. I knew Katie would enjoy the Art Museum since she has a great love for art and a budding talent as well. She was disappointed when we had to leave. I am sure she will return soon.

As for everyone, no longer bored, we experienced a fun day of enrichment in the visual arts at the Cincinnati Art Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment