Monday, August 4, 2008

Lunch for Four – Simple, Right?


This past week I decided to have four teacher friends over to my house for lunch. Simple enough idea, right? It sounded like a good idea. Relaxing, chatting with friends, a real stress buster in my hurried life. So, I decided to start planning. I made my phone calls and told these friends that they did not need to do anything, but simply show up.

That is where “simple” was left behind.

The whole idea of this get-together was to feel good, be a stress buster and spend time with good friends. However, the great irony that comes along with most “stress busters” is that they all encompass some degree of stress.

As, I looked around the house with dog hair floating down the hall like tumbleweeds and laundry stacked in the laundry room, I soon learned that stress would soon take me over. So the housecleaning, the shopping, and the planning of matching plates and napkins took hold of me. The yard work, freshly cut grass and a new application of mulch to keep things looking nice was in order.

I know this kind of stress is self-imposed, yet, I cannot seem to help myself. Believing that perfection is the norm, I did not want to fall short for my friends. I set aside a whole day for cleaning the house and working on the yard.

The night before my lunch, exhausted, I asked myself this question, “Will my friends like me less if my chicken salad is not homemade?" So, the morning of my get-together, I drove to my favorite restaurant that serves tasty chicken salad and bought two pints. I cut some fresh fruit and set out some chips. At last, there was something relaxing setting in. Once they arrived, I didn’t even pay attention to the house but rather just enjoyed their company.

So, girls, for the next get-together, you may discover my messy life. I may vacuum a little and let the rest go. Perhaps you may like me even more since you may no longer feel the need to reciprocate perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment