Friday, August 17, 2007

Spontaneity


Last week Saturday was getting a little boring. Not much to do, especially with the last 10 plus days having boiling temperatures in the upper 90’s. We were thinking that we should do something that required little effort and was "cool." We started in the afternoon by going to get a bite to eat at a restaurant in Hyde Park called the Echo. It is a little diner that had really good food. Next, we went to Graeter’s, a Cincinnati favorite for ice cream, and had vanilla waffle cones.

Soon, Michael and Katie wanted to know what was next on our agenda. Of course, they know me all too well. (I don't need a "plan" to have fun.)

What to do? Hmm… I started by getting on Interstate 71 and driving north. Surely I would see something that would spark an idea. I drove for about 100 miles and needed some breakthrough on what to do. I saw a road sign that suggested Wheeling, West Virginia. What’s there I wondered. Nothing I could think of. So, I stayed on course north. To be honest, I really had no idea where to go. But, I insisted that we were going to do something fun. Another 125 miles clicked by and I saw the signs to Cleveland. For a moment, I pondered the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame…

Wait, what was this I-90 to Pennsylvania? Hmm… the kids have not been there… Blinker on, next exit, east to Erie, PA.

At this point I had invested some significant time and gas into this adventure. On the way to Erie, I had a grand idea –Niagara Falls! (Hey, we were only one state away at this point.)

Now, with a legitimate destination, the sun was going down. After over 6 hours of driving, I found a motel for us in New York. Then, our next stop was to a Walmart to get a cheap change of clothes, along with some necessities.

Sunday, we woke up and drove about an hour and arrived at Niagara Falls.

We were all amazed at the size of the falls, especially the Canadian side. All we could compare Niagara to was Cumberland Falls, which is located in our home state of Kentucky. Cumberland is equally beautiful but not half the size of Niagara, although Cumberland does boast it is the only waterfall in the world that has a “moonbow.” (At one time this distinction was shared with Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe, Africa but due to forest cultivation Victoria Falls has lost its moonbow status.)

After admiring the vastness of these waterfalls, we rode on the famous “Maid of the Mist”. Although we had rain jackets on, the mist was overwhelming as we were sprayed continuously by the falls. Nearing the falls the waves got more forceful as our boat rocked more aggressively. Strangely, it felt like we were in the middle of a hurricane! Yet, it was so much fun!

Once we were back up to the observation deck and dried off, Katie and Michael decided we needed to cross the bridge to Canada to have lunch at the Hard Rock Café. Sounded like fun to me. So, we crossed the border and ate lunch. Afterwards, we drove around to check out the local sights. We decided that we would have to come back another time and plan for a longer stay. But, for now, it was 2:00 P.M., Sunday, and I needed to begin the 8 hour drive back home. Yes, I had to be back at school bright and early on Monday morning.

Although it was a long ride home, we talked and laughed about all the "cool" things we experienced in the last 24 hours.

This was an adventure that sprung from nowhere. No roadmap, no plan, just going with the flow... Yet, it will certainly be a precious memory for many years to come.

Spontaneity – I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

  1. What a fun trip! My parents were always so rigid..they would have never thought of doing something like that...I think next time we have a three day weekend I'm going to tell my husband to just start driving and see where we end up...sounds like an adventure.

    ReplyDelete