Thursday, August 2, 2007

Dental Appointments


It was very hot and muggy today, one of those lazy, scorching summer days. All I wanted to do was stay inside with the air-conditioning and the remote.

However, Katie and Michael had appointments with the dentist today. This would be their first appointment with their “new” dentist. Their old dentist has cancelled several appointments and it seemed harder and harder to get in to see him. So, today they were going to a new, woman, dentist.

Once I reminded Michael that the appointment was today, he immediately went to task. He went straight to the bathroom and starting brushing. He brushed to make up for all the times I told him to brush but only spent 30 seconds brushing. He brushed so long as if he could hide the fact that he hasn’t put a whole lot of effort into his oral hygiene.

Katie on the other hand had probably already brushed 10 minutes this morning before I reminded her about the appointment. She is quite conscientious about her teeth, after all, she had braces for several years that not only straightened her teeth, but also taught her the discipline of proper brushing and flossing.

We drove to the new office. It was in an older house that had been converted to an office. It was a small, but friendly office. It had yellow walls, a fireplace, TV and comfy couches. It felt like you were visiting an old relative.

For the next two hours I watched a couple episodes of Andy Griffith and then The Peoples Court - from friendly neighbors to vicious adversaries. I really can’t complain, though. I relaxed on the couch in front of the TV while the ceiling fan tried to lure me to sleep. I knew how hot it was outside so I had a real appreciation for this cool, cozy waiting room.

Finally, the dentist called me back. The verdict was in. Both kids, no cavities. Katie needs her wisdom teeth taken out soon. Michael needs to brush longer. As for the new dentist, we all agree, we like her.

And, I did get to relax in the air conditioning and watch TV after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment