Thursday, August 9, 2007

Diary of a Paper Girl


Have you ever had a love/hate relationship in your life? You know, the kind where you can make a list of all the reasons to love it, yet, you could equally list all the reasons to despise the relationship.

This is the diary of a KY Post delivery girl.

When I purchased the route five years ago, it was like all new relationships. I was optimistic and saw a future with this new partner. We were going to go places. It didn’t take long to learn that this wasn’t going to be all fun and games. I had to put a lot of work into this relationship.

This relationship has taken up all of my Friday nights for the last 5 years (putting the ads and TV guides together.) Saturday mornings getting up at 3 AM has not been easy (to go to the warehouse to pick up the papers so all the ads and guides could be inserted into one neat, tidy paper.)

This partner was always demanding my time – six days a week, every week of the year.

But like all relationships that come to an end, I am starting to remember the good times. I remember the good people I have met because of this association. I remember the long drives during all the seasons of the year. And, the payoff for all of my labors (at the first of the month when the payments came in) was especially gratifying.

We will still hang on a little longer, but the writing is on the wall (last publication will be December 31st, 2007.) I will have to say good-bye to the good and to the bad. I will not miss the ink on my hands, clothes and car. I will not miss filling up at the gas station 3-4 times a week. I will not miss the late Friday nights or early Saturday mornings.

However, I will miss the long rides along the country roads in Campbell County. I will miss the wonderful people that live on those roads. And, of course, I will miss the extra income it provided.

I am getting ready to let go. I will soon need to look for a new “relationship.” I may be flirting with Ebay in the near future…

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to add you to my blog roll. Hope that's okay.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruthie,

    Go visit my blog. I've passed on an award to you.

    Big smile. Hope you like it.

    Peace,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem. I didn't realize you were a school teacher. That's a noble career. I'll be looking forward to seeing who you pass the award on to.

    And yes, keep posting when you have the time. I've enjoyed what I've read so far.

    ReplyDelete