Sunday, January 4, 2009

Starbucks

I used to make fun of the pretentious yuppies that frequented Starbucks. To me, Starbucks was a modern place for “beatniks” to hang out and socialize. That was until a couple friends of mine invited me to join them one day after school.

I walked into Starbucks and took a good look around – yep, it looked like a hangout for misfits. The walls had a lot of weird pictures (“artists” of the week I supposed). The drink maker, oh yeah, called the “barista”, had spiked burgundy hair and mismatched clothing.

There we stood in line to order our drinks. No one warned me, you don’t just order a coffee; you have to learn a new language to order. I had no clue what was what. It was embarrassing trying to make sense of all too many choices; short, tall, Grande, Venti, iced, hot, single, double, Frappuccino, Macchiato, latte, light, whipped, skinny, etc. I even heard some patrons have the audacity to order their drink at a specified temperature! I gave up without a fight and had my friend order for me.

Another warning someone should have given me, once you order your drink, be alert. People will grab any random drink that is shouted out. Again, stay alert, because more than 1 person may have the same drink as you. Or, they may be like me, and not know what the heck they really ordered!

Another quick glance around the room and I spied a big, comfy looking chair. Ah, I felt comfortable in Starbuck’s at last. Then, conversation flowed between my friends and I. Two hours had flown by. It was nice to just sit and talk.

Well, I have been joining these ladies at Starbucks for about a year now. I am getting a little better about ordering - how about a Grande with Whip Mocha Frappuccino Light Blended Coffee for here? Honestly, I still don’t know what I am getting until the barista pushes the drink towards me.

The truth is that I am not there for the fancy drinks, nor the artistic expressions on the walls, but for me it is more about socializing with friends, relaxing and enjoying an Iced Venti Tazo® Shaken Iced Black Tea Lemonade sweetened with Splenda!

BTW, you don’t have to wear bongos, berets or dark glasses. Although I have been known to hear some poetry at Starbucks!

No comments:

Post a Comment