Thursday, July 16, 2009

Summer Sounds

I love being in the swimming pool in the back yard, especially floating on a raft on a hot, lazy summer day. Today, as I floated I thought about the many things that have changed in my life. Some changes were good and others I desperately long to go back to the way things were.

Yes, I have learned over the years that most things in our lives change. We change the foods we like. We change the fashions we like (thank goodness). Most of us will change our addresses and change jobs. Even our friends will change and sometimes we even change whom we are married to.

But today I realized that for me, there is one thing that has not changed much in my life – summer sounds.

Quietly I floated across the pool with my eyes shut as the sun poured upon my shoulders. Bathing there I heard the peaceful sound of the water moving through the filter. Next I could more clearly hear the sound of the nearby ball field. Kids pinging the balls with aluminum bats. The roar of parents cheering and the lull of coaches instructions. I heard the ice cream truck getting closer and closer up the hill. The hum of a neighbor’s lawnmower.  A plane’s engines buzz slowly across the sky. The occasional barking dog. Kids laughing and slamming screen doors. A bird singing his song to a lover in the distance. These are the sounds that have traveled with me across time.

As I opened my eyes the intensity of the sounds that filled my head lessened. They slowly faded and were tucked back safely away. At least until I need to come back to visit those familar sounds of summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment